Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Ultimate Driving Machine

I wonder why we don't see them yet? Completely computerizable, programmable cars that do not require human drivers. Oh wait, then it can't be a "driving machine" anymore, can it? So I'll call it a "transportation port." You would think they'll be roaming our highways already, considering so many spend over two hours each way going to and from work.

I know this sounds childish but I am going to have to describe my idea of the "ultimate tranportation pod" to you. First of all, it has to have windows, it doesn't feel very good to ride in something that moves without windows. Definitely recliners instead of crappy chairs we have now, with leather upgrade as an option. :) Air-conditioning, mini-fridge, mini-bar, soda, fruits... (oh wait, I am getting carried away :). And to top it all, wireless internet connection.

All of a sudden four hours of commute a day is not too bad when you can sleep, relax or even work more during your travel, huh? And without the drunk drivers and reckless drivers, maybe we can even reduce accident-related traffic jams! :)

So, here's my question, IF you have a choice of such a said vehicle, will you (1) never drive again? (2) drive significantly less? or (3) drive just like normal because you enjoy driving, congestion or not?