Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Fear Factor

So I'm a reality TV show junkie. Okay, maybe not that much of a junkie, after all, I don't want every single reality TV show out there. But Fear Factor I watch religiously. :) Okay, I admit, not the classiest TV show known to mankind, but its good, clean fun!! (Although almost all contestants are hot chicks with big boobs or hunky males. Did you know that you have to send them a video with pan out shot in your contestant application? And they definitely make the girls change into swimsuit in front of camera on purpose. If you are not interested in fear factors, you must be interested into hot girls. I think that's the reason why hubby sits throught most of them with me. :) It's my favorite TV show when I used to work at the tissue bank? Why? Very entertaining after a 16+ hours shift and my brain was fried and just want to watch something mindless before I pass out. I especially love to watch it in fastfoward mode with TiVo. (And TiVo, yet another GREAT invention in the history of mankind. Even Mike, who took TWO years to upgrade to broadband albeit the fact that his job required him to research on the internet on a daily basis, has TiVo. Now THAT is successful marketing. Hurray to the TiVo guys! )

For those of you who are oversea and have no idea what this show is about, it's a reality TV show in which contestants have to perform three stunts. The winner per show will receive a cash bonus of US$50,000. The second of the three stunts usually involves something nasty--eating insects live, buried in tank with insects, transporting them in your mouth etc. For more information, go to their official website

I think sometimes the Fear Factors team shops at Chinese grocery place. I've seen contestants required to consume some of what we consider as delicacy in our wonderful Asian culture, items such as thousand-year-old eggs* and sea cucumber**. I wouldn't mind being paid $50,000 to eat thousand-year-old eggs and sea cucumber. :) I am just not sure if the sea cucubmers are cooked. But they have to be, else you risk gettig hepatitis A type from uncooked seafood. :) And I watched those contestants crying and gagging and retching eating sea cucumbers. How odd is that? Just talking about it makes me salivate. :) :)

But food was not what this blog was about. ("Really? You have a point?" you might ask.) I wanted to talk about last Monday's family episode of Fear Factor. (Oh yeah, they like to do these special episodes also -- all girls, Miss USA pageants, couples, siblings, and families.) So last episode there were four teams, and FF is also very good at mixing and matching, so naturally the four teams were: mother/son combo, father/daughter combo, father/son combo, and mother/daughter combo. (Click here to see the players.) The father/dtr team, unfortunately, had to go first. For the first stunt, one at a time, both of them have to transverse this beam held some fifty feet or so above water and collect these flags. The flags for both the adult and the child were set at different heights, there were five flags each. The team with the least amount of flags will be eliminated; in the case of a tie, the team that took more time will be elimited. So, the dad in the father/dtr team went first. It was very windy, he got the first three flags and passed on the last two t to avoid the fate of falling into the water below. Knowing that she'll have to get all the flags to stand a chance, little girl took half an hour, I repeat, half an hour to get each of the five flags. She stook below each flag and waited for the wind to subside so she could reach for the flags. Unfortunately, it took her so long to complete the stunt that the wind subsided altogether and all the remaining three teams had it easy so they were eliminated on the first round. Joe Rogan, the host of the show, repeatedly expressed his admiration for the little girl, saying she was the best contestants ever and that they never expected anyone would took thirty minutes to complete a stunt. Had he could have his way, I think he'd personally announce the little girl the winner for that episode. :)

But that still wasn't what I wanted to discuss in this post, just wanted to introduce the background information first. While the little girl, Madison, was up there, the boy, Kaden from the mother/son team was cheering her on -- something you don't very often on a show like Fear Factor. The other boy, Christian, from the father/son team jeered at him, "Are you a man?" Now what does have sportsmanship have to do with one's manhood, I have no idea. But I didn't have to wait long for my question to be answered. The little boy, Kaden, immediately snapped back, "At least I don't have to haggle little girls to make myself look good," which left Christian incapable of a comeback. Now if I was the boy's mother, I would have been SO proud. Not only does he have a strong sense of what's right and wrong, he is also quick witted -- a skill that I still don't possess at my age. Ten, twenty minutes later, Christian also cheered for Madison, which I suppose was a good sign -- he knew what he did was wrong and was willing to make a change. This time the dad snapped at him right away, "Are you growing soft of me?" And that pretty much explained everything. I've met people like that -- confusing being a jerk with being a man. I feel for that little boy, Christian, who has a life-long road of becoming his dad in front of him.

Skipping to the end of the show, the mother/son team won the final grand price of US$50,000. I believe we all feel sorry for little Madison, unfortunately that's just the way the game works. So the Mychale & Kaden team was naturally the next one that we root for. Immediately before the time of completion was announced for the last stunt, both the mother and son thought they have lost to the father and son team. She apologized to her son, "I'm sorry," to which his response was, "No, it's not your fault, mom." That was yet another nice touch from this team. Obviously it's all in the upbringing. I don't know about other viewers, but I was sure happy they kick the ass of the father/son team. :) Perhaps there is a God after all. :D The Fear Factor God? :D

*��株��
**瘚瑕��