Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Shall we start calling a spade a spade?

This blog entry is inspired by an article on yesterday's San Diego Union-Tribune titled Let's call it what it was ��� torture by Kevin Donegan.

Is it really abuse or torture? When I first saw headlines about "abuses of Iraqi prisoner," I was thinking "What's the big deal about a few kicks and punches. It is a war zone for crying out loud. Can you blame a few soldiers for being a bit disgruntle?" Apparently the truth went far beyond just a few "kicks and punches." Perhaps, like many other Americans, I tried to turn a blind eye on truth. As mentioned in Donegan's article, we associate "torture" with evil regime like Saddam Hussein, we American are incapable of committing such heinous crimes. Perhaps it is now time for us to look at the ugly facts.