Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Friday, April 30, 2004

Co-ed restrooms

So I read this article a few days ago (my newspaper subscription--yeah, I finally caved--didn't start tille today, so I don't have the exact title or author of the piece. Sudolly, get off my back! XD) about boys joining knitting clubs in school and women heading for Deans at universities. And it went on to discuss the kind of issues an individual has to face while performing traditionally role reversal tasks. Then it mentioned some very liberal campuses out there even want to have co-ed dorms (in the same suite, not just same building) and co-ed restrooms (Also quoted that schools had problems before with "women trapped in men's body" wanted to use the female restrooms.) Now, that is just going a little bit too far, don't you think? I think of myself as being fairly liberal, but there is still a line. The idea is good, but the actual implications are problematic. Let's review some of the possible issues that I can think of right off the bat.

I would like to first mentioned that after my first year of living in a dorm sharing a suit with four other girls, I've vowed never to live with another female in my life--with the exception of maybe my (yet to be conceived) daughter and perhaps my mother-in-law when it comes time. But males in the same suite. Hmmm, these are late teens to early twenties males with raging hormones that we are talking about. Isn't that just like asking for trouble? Granted, I have had males roommates for the rest of my college years, but I get to meet these people first and chose whom I wanted to live with. In dorms, you meet your "roommates" the day you move in. What if he's a jerk? Do I want all the sexual inuendoes at my living quarter? All of a sudden we have to worry about not just sexual harrassment at the work place, but also at home. Bad idea. (Guys feel free to defend yourself. I am always open to opposite opinions. :)

Next we look at co-ed restrooms. Oh, c'mon now. Who (women) in their right sense of mind would want to share bathrooms with males who are not their love ones? Let's be honest here, men are dirty and men's restroom are just hedious. They shake when they are done doing their business, for God's sake. I've never been with a man who cleans the bathroom. (To be fair, there are chores that I don't touch either. All good.) But I don't think one should be shaking and flinging their stuff all over if they refuse to clean up afterward! My husband is a pretty neat guy in general. When asked one time to occasionally wipe down the toilet, his answer was, "Why?"

Ladies, do you *really* want to set foot in a man's restroom, just to make a point?