Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, April 29, 2004

How I became interested in politics

When I was seeking for my soulmate--okay, my partner in life--I have certain preset conditions. Namely, we have to have fairly similar base values: integrities, moral standards, believes, etc. On the top of my list are: (1) pro-choice; (2) open minded towards homosexuality; and (3) atheist or agnostic. Lately, political viewpoints are rapidly climbing up to the #4 position. A year ago--and I am not proud of this--I couldn't tell you the difference between a Republican and a Democrat. Now I am following the presidential run and will be voting for the first time this coming November. So what led to this big change in me?

I wish I can blame my ignorant on being raised in Hong Kong. But that's such an obsolete point I might as well just say I'm a woman, I don't need to know politics. I was just plain ignorant.

So back to my story, three months ago I had a job interview--for a translator position. I was being tested on my oral skill in English. I walked in there thinking it was going to be a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong. The tester *only* wanted to talk about politics. From one subject to another, even though I was obviously stuttering. I wish I had point blank told him to change a subject, a different category altogether, but I didn't. I didn't want to admit that I was ignorant. Even though I was told that I was not being evaluated based on my knowledge but merely my proficiency in English, I left the interview site feeling like a complete moron. It was since then I started following the news feverishly. Of course our current president and all of his ludicrous policies is yet another good motivator.