Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, April 08, 2004

A Strange Guy at Work

Yeah, I know, I started this blog like all I ever going to talk about is my commentary on bits of information that I got off of newspaper or radio, but that was not the original idea of the blog and it will stop here.

***

I really envious one kind of people. Have you ever met someone for the first time (and I do mean the first time, that's before you have time to even get a feel of his/her personality OR even had the opportunity to open your big mouth and piss the person off) and he/she'll make these comments that you can't tell whether they meant to be rude or this guy is just has a total lack of social skill or neither, it's just his/her personality? (Sometimes I'm the latter, people sometimes will misunderstood me because I have an odd personaly and a strange sense of humor.)

Or better yet, people who'd just blurt out rude comment whenever they deem necessary. Totally oblivious about burning bridges or what not. Now how far these people can get in life I have no idea. But aren't there times that you just wish you can not care about the consequences of your words and just blurt out things that you want to say?

Okay, here goes. I worked with this odd guy yesterday, right? (Just say right so I can go on with my story.) All of a sudden, out of the blue, he's like, "Where you from?" Naturally I thought he had heard that I've just recently moved here so I told him I which city I was from. Then he asked again(rephrasing his question this time), "What nationality are you?" So that's what he meant by "where you from?". Have I ever mentioned that this is one of the questions that I absolutely hate being asked? I take offense to that. There are many colored Americans here, do you ask them all where they are from? No! Do you ask a White where they are from? No! ('cause most people assumed that White = American. Same way they assumed that Jesus is a White, which, in my humble opinion, is debatable.) So why do they ask ME where I am from? They might as well just say, "hey, you speak English with an accent, where are you from?" Yeah, so I have issues. Feel free to throw a rock at me if you believe you are completely issues free. (Of course people who are truly free of issues won't have possess the hatred to throw a rock at a stranger, so I think I am pretty safe. :D)

So I told him I am Chinese. And he told me he has been to many Asian countries (I think he really only named Japan. Maybe he said he's been to many parts of Japan. I don't remember for certain) and was wondering if I am from somewhere that he has been to. So here I am thinking, Oh great, this guy has a BAD case of yellow fever. (Yes, normally I think the term "yellow fever", used in this sense, is pretty offensive too. But this is the time that I can actually justify the use of it.) Although, on hindsight, most individuals with such a severe case of yellow fever tend to be able to tell different types of Asians apart. (This is sounding so bad. I just made Asians from different countries sound like different breed of dogs.) Well, this guy had never been to where I was from and I have never been to Japan, so there's really not much we could talk about.

This said guy then proceed rolled up his sleeves to show me his tattoo (just what you'd expect from a guy like that). His tattoo is, of course, two Chinese characters. (He called them "kanji". Who knows if they are Japanese or Chinese. Close enough. I can read them.) And he asked me what they meant. Imagine how hard I had to try NOT to ask him why he got a tattoo (two tattoos?) that he has no idea what they meant? (I'd type the characters on here but I am using my husband's laptop, and him, being a cracker*, does not have Chinese word processor installed on his laptop.) So I said, "Health? Sufficiency? Excess?" Then HE told me he was told they meant "peace" and "health" and he just wanted to make sure that they didn't actually mean something like "hit me" (he followed his remark with some dry laugh). And just what did he plan to do if the tattoo artist totally screwed him over? Anyways, by this point, I am thinking like, "Okay, you are weird, stop talking to me." I would think he's hitting on me if I don't think he is gay. Or who knows, maybe he's straight and is hitting on me. But please, anyone who'd make a comment like that can't be a day over 19 (I'd say 18 except I know he has to be at least out of high school to be working a full time job at an office).

This didn't end here. He went on explaining his tattoo to me. "That's what we need in this world. Health and peace and everything will be fine." Now this brings me to my original point. If only I have a confrontational personality, I would really like to ask him how did putting two characters that he can't read (or write for that matter) on his arm help bringing about peace and health to the world?? Did he donate the same amount that he spent on his tattoo to a charity? How about some volunteering work on his free time? (My bad, I never did find out, perhaps he does do volunteering work on his free time). Better yet, why not just skip the tattoo and just donate the money?

There's really no deep meaning to this post. I just want to rant and I am done now. Hope you all enjoyed your read. :D

*if you have never heard of the term "cracker" before, I was told that it's a derogatory term for White men.