Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Friday, October 01, 2004

Day 1, 1297 Hours

And thus the count down begins.

Day 1 is "uneventful," I guess you can call it. We finished packing ahead of schedule and had spared time to even go take a walk along the sea front. It was nice.

Hubby did something silly in the apartment manager's office. *Rolls eyes* I think I learned more about his quirks during this move than the three years we've been together. :D But nothing that I can handle. :)

I didn't even cry my eyeballs out after we've parted and here's why:

As soon as he took off, I got into my SUV and was about to head back North to good ol' Sacramento. I had to take the cat back (it's about eight hours drive) and she tends to act less crazy if I *don't* put her in a cage. I laid blanket nicely down on the passenger side floor and thought I could have her quarantined there for the trip back. WRONG! As soon as I saw hubby off, the cat figured out a way to got out of her designated location and started roaming the inside of the SUV "freely." I said "freely" because the SUV was SO packed there the only spaces left is the driver's side, her little cubby hole that I have created for her, and some on to two foot distance between the top of the boxes and the roof of the car on the passenger side just so that I could see the side mirror. Through the rearview mirror I could see, um, yes a box.

We've travelled with the cat running loose in the car a few times before (mainly back and forth from SD and Sac, this was her forth trip :) but we had two people. I never let her sat on the driver's side floor because it restricts my room for the gas and break and it makes me feel uncomfortable, and not to mention, very dangerous. Hubby let her to that since he could still drive comfortably with her there. I've told him multiple times to NOT encourage her to do that, or she'd think it's okay when it's I drive back to Sacramento. Well I was right, and have you ever known a man who listens? I am only glad it wasn't a kid-raising issue that we were dealing with here. :)

I tried to take the cat and shove her back in her cove but like those bad comedies that you've seen, I had, of course, forgot to close the driver's side door so she ran out from the other side when I shut the passenger side door. So all of a sudden I found myself chasing after my cat in front of my empty apartment. Boy did I think I was screwed. Luckily she was never a very adventurous cat and jumped back over the fence into our patio (thanks God we lived on first floor and the patio fence can be opened from the outside. I was able to get hold of her again.

I finally resorted to driving with her on my lap. The drive from San Diego to Irvine was short of dangerous. A few times I had to try to stop her from getting underneath me and the car swerved. It seriously crossed my mind if I would be able to drive back to Sacramento in one piece. It's funny how when one's life was at stake, all of a sudden crying over the separation with the hubby for seven weeks seemed very trivial. By the time I had a nice long "talk" with the cat and had her under control at Irvine (again, thanks God, else I would probably get into an accident when I pass over the mountains), I no longer feel sad. And the countdown thus began.

***
Correction: My calculation of 1297 hours was actually off by one hour. I forgot to take into consideration the daylight saving time, (kinda like how they've forgotten about the International Date Line in "Around the World in 80 Days" and how the kids who went bungee jumping off a building and forgot to take out the 13th floor that didn't exist) so the total should have been 1322 hours. The appropriate correction has been made to the countdown.