Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Speaking of the Obvious

Don't you always feel like giving a sassy response instead of a straight forward one when you were asked one of those obvious questions? Let me give you an example: Hollywood Videos. Their cardless membership access takes some getting used to (most of the day I prefer to not have interaction with many livings. I can do a transaction at Blockbuster without opening my mouth at all, albeit it might seem a bit on the rude side...), but it's quite convenient once you get the hang on it. Anyways, whenever I go there, they'd always pull up my account which has both my name and my husband's on it, and ask, "And what's your name?" On hindsight, they are probably just verifying that it was, indeed, the correct account that they pulled up. But for the longest time, it just seem so painfully obvious the difference between an Asian female name and that of a white male. So I have honed my skill by saying, "xxx-xxxx (phone number), and I am not xxxxxxxxxx (whitey hubby's name)." In retrospect, even if I give him hubby's name, I'm still verifying the account. :D Nothing personal towards the clerks who work there, majority of their employees are actually very cheerful and friendly, just something to make the routine a little less mundane.

Yesterday, MCI called. MCI is very likely the sleaziest company I've ever dealt with. I've had one of their sales representative point blank lied to me. And I mean point blank, quoting me plans and prices that didn't exist, rephrasing in a misleading way, you name it. Okay, that could be an individual who were just overzealous about making sales. I've talked to 5, FIVE, of their reps after that and none cared about their rep's blatant lie. That told me something about the company. So I am especially rude and creative (or so I think) when it comes to MCI's sales call. I think the very last time I told them, "Not a chance in hell" before I hang up.

It was very unfortunate that I didn't get to answer the call last night. :~( I could have so much fun with that. I didn't know what hubby said to them, but I would have personally said to them, "Has hell frozen over?" Hubby was instructed to say, "My wife says when hell freezes over" next time they call. Oh, whence is MCI going to call again?