Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Best Friend

I am so happy that my best friend, Helen, who's in Hong Kong, is finally able to web-surf from work!!! :D Why do I care if she can web-surf from work? Here's the story:

I came (returned) to the states some sixteen years ago, back then long distance calls to Hong Kong was $1 a minute (way too much for a high school student, and STOP CALCULATING MY AGE!) so we can only communicate via snail mail. Can you imagine that? Takes five days just to deliver the mail, a few days to think over what to write, and another five days for the reply to get back to the sender. That's an exchange of ONE letter a month, if it doesn't get lost.

Helen, like many others, dislikes (intimidated by?) technology. Despite the fact that she has a computer for MANY, many years, she refuses to check/send emails on a regular basis, and internet chat was just SO out of question.

When long distance calls become less expensive, I had the luxuary to call her some twice a month... until her hubby comes along. Then getting hold of her became progressively more difficult (how typical :). After her shotgun marriage (?), came two shotgun (?) babies. And she has even less time for an old friend. Mind you, I am truly happy for her. I am not complainting (or am I?).

Of course, people also grow apart when you live in two different countries and at different stages in life (mother of two v. DINK). But it's still so, SO nice that after sixteen years, we can finally swap emails on an almost DAILY basis (5 days a week, sometimes 6). Our conversation can, finally, once again get pass "How are you?", "How's life/kids/folks/spouse?", and "gotta run, baby is crying." :)))

Horray to Helen's new found freedom! :)) (<--- my standard cop out conclusion for my blog entries XD) Oh, and she even registered for Gmail recently. Must be the influence of her techno savy hubby. :)