Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Movie Reviews: The Prince & Me, Whole Ten Yard

So I just watched the movie The Prince & Me with Julia Stiles. Yes, I prefer stupid movies to serious movies. My preferred movies of choice are along the line of Legally Blonde (part II was crap though), Uptown Girl, Bring it On, Two Weeks Notice. Yeah, all the B-line romantic chick flicks. Not that I don't like serious movies, but watching those require concentration. At the end of the day, when I finally got around to plopping down on the couch and pop a DVD in the player, I think my brain deserves a break. That would explain why Tom Cruise's Last Samurai is still sitting on our make-up target plastic "night table" while we've already finished watching "Prince and I" and "Whole Ten Yard."

Mind you, when I get a B-lined chick flick, I was exactly expect to see an Oscar Award winning movie either.

The Prince & Me

(Don't read on if you haven't seen the movie yet and intend to watch it)

Sort of aim towards a relatively younger crew of audiences. More kiddi-ish than I would like. Though hubby actually summoned enough attention span to finish watching the entire movie with me, much to my surprise. I like it that she realized at the end that being Queen of Denmark. It would be entirely out of character if she'd be contended in a role like that after wanting to the whole time to become a Doctor without Border. I was slightly disappointed at the "ending ending" that implies eventually she'd go back to the prince. I think that's very unnecessary, but how else do you expect a romantic comedy to end eh? Even though it's a kiddy movie, I think it's okay to teach the kids the difference between fantasy and reality. For all intents and purposes, she didn't make a bad choice for returning to US. I think kids nowaday have enough intelligence to handle a movie without a happy ending than just the Disney princess series.

Whole Ten Yard

Definitely not as good as Whole Nine Yard. But I thought I'd mention it here because it actually exceeded expectation!! The trailer made it looked like one of those completely idiotic part II (i.e. Legally Blonde, Bring it On), it was actually a half-way decent movie. If you enjoyed Whole Nine Yard, you should give Whole Ten Yard a try.