Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Sunday, October 24, 2004

From Bath Oil to Japanese Bathrooms

Many years ago I loved this Neutrogena Body Oil product. It's has a nice fragrance and makes your skin feels soft and smooth. Then I run into the problem of applying it. Check out the application instructions:

After a shower or bath while your skin is still damp, smooth on a few drops to help seal in moisture. Then treat yourself to a few pampering minutes while your body dries naturally, or simply pat dry with a towel. In the bath, add to water and soften your skin while you bathe.

Now, it's just too cold in the winter time to be standing there naked while applying this product on your body after a shower or bath. Adding it to the bath water seems to make a lot more sense, hence the next problem. Don't you still have to SOAP yourself after you sit in the tub of water (if you don't, EW!) hence washing all the oil away and defeating the original purpose.

A traditional Japanese bathroom (ofuro) seems to be the best alternative:



Notice that the shower head is OUTSIDE of the tub? In fact, the entire bathroom is the shower, there's drainage on the floor. Traditionally Japanese (or anyone who goes for the style, I guess) will sit on the stool (see picture) and do all the soaping and showering in that portion (using the bucket to wash themselves off at the end, why not the shower, I don't know. Traditon?) THEN soak in the bathtub. It's almost like a ritual. :) I'd DIE to have one of those bathrooms.

Lucky for me, the newer houses in US (at least in the Greater Sacramento area) is starting to follow that trend!! Separate bath and shower!! Though not as elaborate as the entire bathroom as a shower, but for all intents and purposes, they are identical, to me.



This one is a particularly pretty design in which the shower stall is not actually attached to the tub and that the two sinks are on each side of the stall. Majority of them look more like this:



You can't see the entire stall in the picture but you get the idea.

I can't WAIT till I get a house with this design. ^_^ Then I can get these pretty bath products from the Ofuro-bath website.

***
Countdown: 32 Days 758 Hours