Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Fifth Week, Still Surviving the Bay Area

We have officially survived four weeks of bay area. And I was not exaggerating when I say "survive." Last week was arguably the roughest week I've ever had with hubby since we've known each other. He was exhausted and I was edgy most of the time. The one thing that's worse than knowing you've inherited all these bad genetic material from your family is to not be able to do a thing about them when they were freely expressing themselves.

It's sort of like in a dream, where you were both the protagonist but you were not. You were experiencing what was going on both as the first person but also as a third person witness. On one hand I could feel the irritation building up inside of me, but the rational (3rd person) self was acutely aware of the fact that my irritation really had nothing to do with what hubby had done or said and it was simply not something that's worth throwing a fit over. Sometimes I was more successful than others at controlling my temperament.

I'd hate to think that our relationship is so fragile that by merely relocating to the bay area can put dents in our relationship. Guess we've got to work harder at figuring out a routine that we can achieve balance between work and a pleasant and healthy life.

Speaking of which, Hubby purchased a '04 Miata last Friday. When I said he purchased it, I meant I didn't know it ahead of time. Okay, that wasn't entirely true either. He's been talking about buying another car for a while now. But since shopping for big ticket items (predominantly houses, cars) is like a hobby of his, it's hard to tell when he's really going to do it. And I accidentally left my cell phone at home when I went to work on Friday. By the time I got hold of him he was already on his way home in his new (used) car.

For reasons beyond understanding I found his purchase of this particular car very distressful. Poor hubby even offered to sell it if I really hated it. Now I've never received/acquired any useful interpersonal relationship advices from my family, but I do have a set of guildlines of what kind of wife that I don't want to be. I don't believe I should be able to tell him what kind of a car he can or cannot have. I certainly would not like it if he interferes strongly on my choice of a car. More importantly, I couldn't even pinpoint what was it about the car that distresses me.

Fortunately, as the weekend arrived, and we drove around town in his little Miata with the top down and the weather was gorgeous and hubby was playing ALL the songs that were my favorites, I've made peace with the car. At least it is green. And now that hubby has the crappy car of the house, that'd free up monetary resource for me to get my brand new GREEN 2005 Prius. ^_^