Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Spoiled Brat

I was reading this blog yesterday. This girl was explaining how she and her mother had a "conflict of personalities." She expressed that her mother could not accept her viewpoint that she consider life temporary and unimportant and refuses to take on a job that she hates and regretting by the day she die that she had not live her life. At first I sided with the girl. Sure, to me financial stability is very important. Roof over head and food on table comes before dignity (it's a Chinese saying). But who is to say that everybody must succumb to a life like that? However, as I read on, I've lost respect for her when I found out that she was complainting about her mother kicking her out of the mother's house.

Ugh. If you want to live up to your belief of not wanting to go to a job that you hate everyday, either find a job that you enjoy (Yes, they exist, far and in between, but some lucky folks actually like their jobs. I hope I'll be one of them some day.) or live a low cost life-style, of course even a low-cost life-style needs money. But one loses her rights to complaint when she chose to leech off of someone else so that said someone (or society in general if you draw from one of the many programs available) can live their ideal lifesyle of not having to worry about financial stability, then it's not all that noble after all.

I can respect others' lifestyle choice. One can choose not to take up a job that he/she doesn't like. Not everyone has to climb the corporate ladder and hope to get rich some day. Others can choose to live in poverty temporary (or permanantly) with only very basic supplies in life in order to go after a dream of one day becoming a successful artist/actress/screen writer etc., but there shouldn't be talk about dignity and idealism before one has attained financial independence.