Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Friday, August 26, 2005

Bay Area Horror Experience

Alt Title to this post: The Rude Letter I Have Received from Google.

Job hunting in the bay area? Perhaps considering Google, the new Microsoft? Thinking what's the worse that could happen for applying for a job? Well, allow me to show you this a-tad-too-personal rejection letter that I have received from julieg@google.com, presumably someone working at the HR dept at Google?

Hi Medical Records Clerk,

We would like to thank you for your interest in Google. After carefully reviewing your experience and qualifications, we have determined that we do not have an 'Engineering Project Manager - Mountain View' position available which is a strong match at this time.

Thanks again for considering Google. We wish you well in your endeavors
and hope you might consider us again in the future.

Sincerely,
Google Staffing


Now, if you like my naive friend Mike, who failed to notice the demeaning tone in the email upon first glance and thought it's simply a software glitch (inserting wrong job titles etc.), allow me to clarify that Medical Records Clerk was the position I've held over 7 years ago while I was attending college, nor have I applied for the Engineering Project Manager position since my background was, well, not remotely related to engineering.

The art of "it's not what you say, it's how to say it" or even "if you have nothing better to say, don't say anthing" has obviously eluded Ms. Julieg at Google. The intention behind taking the time to write such a vile and unprofessional letter was beyond me. Is Google not keeping their employees busy enough, or happy enough that they have to take time to do cheap shots like that? Or perhaps this is even acceptable practice at Google!

So if you are considering applying for any positions (not just the Engineering Project Manager position), do make sure that you are, indeed, creme of the crop material. Then again, don't give up hope if all you can do is to sit around and write structurally iffy nasty letters. Even the best sceening system has its flaws, as evidence by their proud employee -- Julieg.