Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Phone? Camera? Camera Phone?

For you information, I did not end up buying that video phone (Sanyo VM4500) from Radio Shack? Why? You might ask. Because if I am going to spend $200 on a gimmick, I better be jumping up and down in joy at least for the first two hours of possessing the item. I don't see myself being that way with the said video phone. I see myself bringing it home and putting it on the table -- just like I would any other cell phone. If it's lucky, I'll plug it into the charger.

The video part of it is cool, but I don't see myself using it. Nor would I honestly use the walkie-talkie feature, so most of the money is not going into gadgets that even interest me. I would love the camera part, but I can get a camera phone for $50.

The problem is, once I "upgraded" my phone, I am in for another 18 months before I am eligible for their rebate for purchasing a new phone. And I feel that getting lowest end of camera phone at this point is just wasting my long-waited out eligibility for the rebate. 18 months! Can you image that? I haven't even been married for 18 months yet! Essentially my phone company wants a committment from me that's more serious than the one between my husband and I.

Well, with the 1.2 megapixel camera phones around the corner. I think I'd just wait it out. I mean, my current cell phone is pretty beat up, but at least the phone part is still working. If I am lucky enough to wait out my two-years contract, maybe I can even switch to a different cell phone company. Like any one of them is better than another. Haha.

To further convince myself to NOT rush into another camera phone (I tried out the Nokia 3650 a year ago. Love the camera part, AT&T's connection SUCKED. The rep kept trying to convince me that it was NOT their connection but problems with the phones themselves -- my husband and I both have one. Well, guess what? The phone was crispy clear after I unlocked it and popped in an US$15 card into it), I bought myself this:

The Logitech Pocket Digital Camera
It's the size of a credit card and less than 1/2" in thickness! :D What more can you ask for for $50 (ebay)? And the picture quality is not too shabby either!




Credit: Logitech

Hubby showed me a different model that I could get for cheaper, but I passed on it even though it's cheaper because it's not as CUTE as the Logitech one. That's woman for you!

I just have another question. I saw this bid on ebay. How a seller can ask for $0.99 for the item but $59.99 for S&H can have 99% positive feedback is beyond me. I understand that he/she does list the S&H on the auction, but still, isn't that still borderline of a scam?