Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, August 12, 2004

The Pot is Calling the Kettle Black

So I got to thinking today (obviously I haven't been thinking much laterly, else you'll be seeing more entries on here -- it hurts when I think too hard XD), there's this Chinese proverb:

黑狗偷食
白狗當災

Loosely translate into: The black dog steals the food, the white dog gets blamed for it. (Presumably the black one was gone by the time people noticed the food was gone :D)

In this case, the color "black" takes on the negative role.

Similar saying in English:

The pot is calling the kettle black.

Same implication: black is bad.

So, if "Ten Little Indians" is now politically incorrect, shouldn't the saying "The pot is calling the kettle black" also? Plus, when's the last time you see a black pot OR a black kettle?