Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Sunday, July 18, 2004

God Bless You

You know the guy who made a big fuss out of the school system making his daughter reciting the Pledge of Allegiance including "one nation under God" everyday? Well, when I first heard the news, I thought "what's the big deal? It's not worth the hassle." I simply don't think most kids really think about the meaning of the words they recite everyday. I went to a Catholic schools, I used to know all the prayers by heart, just don't ask me what they really say.

But this guy's action has got me thinking -- by enforcing the reciting of "one nation under God" in school, it surely gives the false impression to a lot that Catholics are the official nation religion. And it sure makes a statement that this religion is more true than others.

There's this co-worker of mine that I sort of hang out with who likes to say "I'll pray for you." So one time I nicely told her that I'm an atheist. Her response? "Oh, you are so funny." To date I have no clue why that statement is funny? Let me try that one from now on.

"I'm a Muslim." "Oh, you are so funny."
"I'm Jewish." "Oh, you are so funny."
"I'm a Buddist." "Oh, you are hilarious."

Whatever that means.

It's getting to a point that people who'd include "God bless you" at the end of their speech (in everyday life, not talking about politicians) and/or emails are starting to annoy me. So i think I should tag on a line that stresses my "religious belief" or lack thereof also.

I thought about:

"Budda bless you." But since Buddism really doesn't believe in one superior being (so I was told), that statement doesn't even make any sense.

Buddism, however, believes in "karma." So I thought about,

"Do good deeds, and may good karma be with you."

But "karma" has been used so generally I doubt people would even associate that with a religious statement, let alone the fact that I am not a Buddist either.

My next thought was:

"Your God or mine?"

Hubby suggested:

"You may believe in your false prophet, but don't force it upon me."

But that would just make me sound as hateful as a religious fundamentalist, wouldn't it? Surely I could not stoop to THEIR level. That would just be insulting.

Which brings me to my next point. Why isn't there a derogatory term for "religious fundamentalist"? Or is there one that I am not aware of? Maybe I should start calling them the "fundies." :D