Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Digital Wish-Making

Hubby told me to make a wish whenever I looked at a digital clock and all the numbers are the same. (The other version I heard was only at 11:11, but heck, better more wish than less, right? :) Since I work an office job now and I use the clock on the computer, I seem to run into the digital wish-making situation a lot. I usually just wish for something small. A part of me (though atheist) feels like if you ask for something impossible, you are just challenging the "spirit" that you are making a wish to, and thus annoying the entity. :D (Once upon a time I had an 8-ball. I never had one when I was a kid so I was really happy when I got one as a gift in my adult life. But I would never ask it questions that I afraid the answer would be "no." Nor would I ask the same questions twice. That, too, would be construed as "challenging the spirit." :)

Among all the miscellaneous wishes that I've had, I guess it can all be summed up in this poem:

死生契闊,
與子相悅,
執子之手,
與子偕老。

Rough translation:

Life and death and separation are serious matters,
but I still want to say I want to be happy with you,
hold your hands,
and grow old with you.


I guess that's really a lot to ask for. Holding hands and growing old together really has a lot more implications than it seems. It means that we'll live long AND be in a happy relationship for the most part. And that in itself is not easy to accomplish.

Hubby and I both like the ending in Robin Williams's "Bicenntenial Man."