Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

It's not until my returning from a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment to our 3 bedrooms 2 bath 1,500 sf house and have to unpack on my own did I realize how much crap we own. The double sided closet in the masterbedroom is clutters. I never understood why (probably because we try to park BOTH cars in the garage instead of using one spot for storage). Man, hubby has two boxes of random, miscellanous cables, a monitor that I am not sure whether it still works, AND a broken lamp in the closet!!! Anyway, I digressed.

After the moving scene came the job-hunting scene (still better than the dating scene, I guess), so I run into the same, 100-year old question again. You know one of those standard questions that they ask during an interview?

What are your weaknesses?

Many years ago, I've asked one of my "personal consultant" (someone who helped me with my hopeless people skill), and he told me that a standard answer is, "Oh, I am obssessive compulsive and I have to finish the job I started" or something to that effect.

I think it's stupid so I am thinking about trying a more creative and maybe even somewhat more honest approach this time around, "I dislike the lazy and the incompetent." (Truth be told, I hate the livings, but they don't need to know that. Hehehe.)

My new advisor Mike said the O-C approach is NOT the standard answer, and that the employers are really looking for something that can be addressed and resovled in the work environment.

Ugh, I think "stupidity" is an understatement in this situation. Now let's look at this question (my overanalyzing personality totally working overtime here):

Suppose I have a weakness (for the sake of the argument, cause I really don't have any. *ahem*) AND that I am conscious of it (obviously, how else can I tell them what it is?) AND this said weakness CAN be addressed in the work environment AND that I have worked many times before, why does this said weakness still exist?? Or do I just mysteriously HAVE a new weakness every time I go on a job hunt. Can these people be any more STUPIDER?

Someone, please, tell me WHY do they keep on asking this particular standard question at interviews? (Maybe I can continue to rant and rave about other standard questions and make a series out of this subject. ^_^)

***
46 Days, 1084 Hours.