Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Last Man, Last Woman

My favorite columnist Gersh Kuntzman wrote this article Bye-Bye, Birdie for Newsweek's web exclusive. He talked about how this kind of birds, po'ouli, might have gone extinct with one of the last three died recently and the other two hadn't been spotted for over a year. And even if the other two birds were still around, they could be of the same gender.

In his article, he made this statement: If I was the last man on the planet, and I heard that the last woman on the planet was living in Papau New Guinea, you can be damn sure I'd be studying boat construction. Not so with the po'ouli.

Well, good for him! Unlike him, I certainly don't have that chip on my shoulder. If I am the only woman left and the last man is sleezy or slimey or hideous or simply disgusting, we are going extinct. I don't feel that I have the moral obligation to repopulate mankind with this slimball of a man. Having a scientific mind, I believe that the world is going to come to an end sooner or later, via one way or another. At which point all species on earth (or most anyway) will go extinct. That is not to justify destroying the environment and accelerating extinctions of other species. Simply to justify why I would not be interested in repopulating the world with someone of lesser quality. Besides, do we really want to repopulate the earth with THIS man's offsprings? And, after all is said and done, his offspring probably won't survive all that well anyway, why waste my precious time. :D