Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Friday, January 07, 2005

Video Game Life

In a nutshell, life is arguably very similar to a video game. Any video game. There are challenges and obstacles, when you defeat them all, you move onto the next level. And there'll be new challenges and obstacles waiting for you.

I've never been really good at video games. Most games require more hand and eyes coordinations than I possess. Lately I got suck into this simple, little game called Insaniquarium. As it's name clearly suggests, the game involves an aquarium. The game actually takes place in an aquarium. You start the game out with two guppies ("guppy" is such a funny word), and you'll have to feed them periodically. As they start to grow bigger, they'll start producing coins. You then collect the coins to buy stuff. Level ends when you buy three pieces of egg shells and earn yourself a new pet that you can bring to the next level. What's the challenge then, you might ask. Well, aliens (hence the "insane" part) will come periodically to eat or destroy your guppies. Game is over when all fish dies. The game gets very crazy toward the end, lots of coins to collect, and fish dying from starvation if you don't feed them fast enough. Before I figured out what I really want to do when I grow up I figured that an ideal job will be like playing a game of aquarium. No, I don't mean to be a game tester. Although that would be a cool job, if I am more of a video game fan. I mean a job that's insanely crazy, takes up all your time, but you can still finish it by the end of the day AND also have fun during the process.

By the same token, the same theory can be applied to life itself -- then are different levels (stages of life), and each levels have their own unique obstacles and challenges. And the rewards are the drive for us to go back into the battlefield day after day after day. For me, at this stage of my life, most of my rewards are materialistic. There are always more items on my "I want" list. Not all of them are big ticket items, most of them are just small, little toys that I would rather get when I have a job. And I hope that at some point in life, I'd get to a point that that would no longer be the reward. The reward may then be another trip to a country that I have never visited before. Or re-visiting a place than hubby and I both enjoyed. Currently one of my dream is one day to be able to go on one of the Earthwatch expeditions.