Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Monday, April 12, 2004

Life Should be a Choice

This was originally meant to be my response to Kamigoroshi's entry, but the length of it just got way out of control so I've decided to use it as an entry on my own blog.

Kamigoroshi's question was: if I want to live forever, or at least 500 years, or at least 200 years. Forever? HELL NO! Forever is a very scary concept. It implies never ending. What would be this one thing in life, or afterlife for that matter, that you'd want to go on forever and still enjoy it? Imaging your favorite food/dish, now imagine it every meal every day. Your favorite spot, favorite scenary. Now imagine being stuck there forever. I've heard many people talked about how they want to just stay home and not have to work. I can't speak for everyone, but I have been on vacation so long that I missed going back to work. It's only work that makes your free time precious. And that is also what death is to life.

I studied science in college. My passion being biological sciences, I have a slightly different view on death than most people. To me, death is as natural as birth. There is life and there is death, one is not necessarily worse than others. Imaging lives being created everyday but no death ever occurs. Can you imagine the kind of social/environmental problems it would create? Some already said that earth is overpopulated. (I have a lot to elaborate on this subject; but I will leave it for a different day.)

My answer to Kamigoroshi's question will vary depending on when I was being asked that question. There had been phases in my life when "tomorrow" didn't bear any hope or joy and I had embraced death. There had been period of my life when I would have voluntarily given up my own life, or trade it with someone who'd appreciate it more. Now I still don't believe that life in itself has a meaning. It's really not all that it's hyped up to be. Being a Darwinian, I believe that the meaning--or at least the purpose--of life is the continuation of the species. One cannot say that reproducing is all that meaningful in a spiritual level. But now that I have met my husband, whom has brought happiness and content in my life, I am not against being alive. I think 250 years can't be that bad. I guess I would not mind "hanging around" for a bit longer. There are times when I wish I can live longer to see where technology will take us. (This can change in the next 30-50 years. I might just decided that I have seen enough.) I am also curious whether we'll come into contact with some form of extraterrestrial life form one day. (I do not doubt their existence. It'll be such a bigotry to think that there is only life on earth in the entire universe. Those who think that failed miserably to comprehend the vastness of the universe.

Again, I digressed. I would also like to clarified that not afraid of death doesn't mean I am not worry about it. I worry sick everyday that it will descend suddenly on my loved ones. (There aren't a lot of those.) I told my husband to "drive safe" every time he leaves the house. I understand how abrupt tragic can happen. I don't take any day for granted. I see everyday with my husband a blessing.

Finally, to really answer Kamigoroshi's question: in my current mindset, I'll choose the 250-years option. But if and when what I perceive as my "meaning of life", namely my husband, is taken away from me, let that be by accident or a change of heart, my answer could potentially vary.

Some (including my husband) would say that it's the behavior of a coward to escape for sadness. But as I have said, I don't perceive being alive is necessarily better than being dead (after all, how can one say that death is a bad thing when no one really know what it is all about?). Religions tell us that we should strive to survive. Darwinian believes that it's an animal's instinct to live on regardless of the quality of life. I believe that life should be a choice, my choice.

Long answer to a short (?) question, but that's why I started a completely different entry. :) My question to you now is: what do you perceive as "the meaning of life?"