Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Is Our Culture at Risk?

Today I had a great day at work, which might explain why I am obnoxiously happy right now and just want to ramble on to no end. A "great day at work" is defined by not much work and lots of internet surfing. Now before you accuse me of being lazy let me clarified that it wasn't me who was not doing my work, but that there was a lack of work. I even checked with two other branches in order to surf guilt-free. :D Now I am quickly going down that road of folks who get fired because they don't watch what they write in their blogs...

So I read on this article that was in yesterday's San Diego Union Tribune by the titled of Customized technology could yield life in a void by Don Fernandez, that technologies such as DVR (digital video recorder), iTune, and customed news email leave no room for "Happenstance. Chance. Coincidence. Kismet."

"Those concepts may be dying with each digital click.

Flipping through a magazine and thumbing across a fascinating story. Encountering a stranger with bold and diverse ideas. Hearing a song on the radio you would never expect to like, but now can't get out of your head...

Which leaves the evolution of our cultural cornerstones in question. Would we have jazz music, he asked, if such customizing techniques had been in place 100 years ago?"


So in order to give my best effort to perserve as well as to carry on our "culture," I'll try my darnest to hit random sites and bring them to you. :) Just like this saying that I've once heard, "I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something." :D