Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Parsonii, the Singer

Ever since I was a kid I was told that I am unable to sing in tune. Well, only this one cousin always tells me that, but he also said a lot of other horrible things about me. Regardless, I grew up "knowing" that I can't sing worth a shit. Until I watched that one episode of "American Idol" where they showed the horrible auditions. It's amazing how people who are completely tone deaf can be under the impression that they can be American's next idol.* I never knew I could actually sing till I watched that episode.. :) But I digressed.

Overtime, I learned to sing loud and offtone, and quite frankly, plain obnoxious, on purpose. It's very fun and relaxing for the person who's doing it, but it tends to annoy the hell out of all those around you, especially coming from a grown, adult woman. If I wasn't the one singing, that would most certainly drive me nuts.

So one very fine Saturday afternoon, both hubby and I were home together. And I can't remember what he was doing -- either dishes or bills -- he's a well-trained hubby. :) And I was perhaps picking up around the house and was doing my sing loud and sing off-tone thing. I was happily singing Fugees' Killing Me Softly when hubby suddenly said, "Honey!!" Naturally I thought he was going to tell me to shut up because I was being very annoying or something to that effect. The words I least expected came from him, "What were you singing? You got the lyrics all wrong!" I was genuinely surprised, that's the first time I ever heard anyone commenting on my knowledge of the lyrics. "Shouldn't you be more concerned with the way that I was singing it?" Apparently I was singing, "Killing me softly with his arms" instead of "with his songs."

The same conversation took place a few more times over time, over different songs, of course. If I remember how else I mangled up other songs I'll write about it. I think I am just going to sing in Chinese from now on in front of hubby. :D I can mangle up the song as badly as I want and he'll never have a clue. Hahahahaha.

*That reminds me of a joke in Chinese: 世上有三種人:先知先覺, 後知後覺, 及不知不覺. 一個人能不知不覺到這個地步大抵也是一種幸褔.