Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Thursday, June 03, 2004

原來香蕉也是一門學問 aka Tid-bits on Bananas

So my best friend Blinky is helping me create a logo for this site (anyone who'd help me create a logo will automatically become my best friend -- no questions asked, no background check required :D). I'd post our rough draft here, but I think I'd keep you guys waiting till the final draft is done. :) Well, we made a mistake (ok, *I* did) by showing the sketch to MIKE. MIKE who has a comment/opinion on everything! And Mike said, "Bananas grow with what we think of as their bottoms pointed up."

Imagine my surprise when it turned out that he is RIGHT!



Source: Stock Photography
Photographer: Fred Voetsch

Doesn't the picture just looks UPSIDE DOWN?

Blinky's comment when she first heard me quoting her Mike's comment:
"He wants the bananas to be realistic but the fact that there is a house in the tree doesn't concern him?"

Blinky's second comment after she discovered the above picture:
"I was disgusted by the fact that he was right..."

So we've decided to leave the bananas "upside down" even though it is, technically, incorrect. :) I never claim that this is an educational blog, have I?

Blinky has further discovered that a banana tree isn't a tree but a plant. And the trunk is not wood but a soft spongy stuff that you could cut down with a knife. (We sure learned hell of a lot about banana trees for two girls who were merely trying to draw a logo...)

So I guess it's really not possible to have a house inside a banana tree. *blush* I should have done my research before I named my blog. :) But that's what happens when one tries to be spontaneous... :)

I couldn't help but wonder HOW Mike, of all people, would know that bananas grow upside down. Is it one of those things that you learn in kindergarten but I somehow missed out on?