Banana Tree House

This is a blog on my incoherent thoughts and painstaking details of my life. Welcome and please consider this the disclaimer...

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Reverse Discrimination?

I dislike working with a certain type of women. Have you ever worked
with some women who think they are princesses and that everyone at
work (both males AND females colleagues) should serve them on their
hands and feet? I had worked with someone like that before, and I
hated it. I am very happy for her that she has been daddy's little
girl all along and perhaps never had to wash a plate in their lives.
More power to them. Find a rich man and stay home, ladies. You have no
business at a work place. So many years have women fought for equality,
I think it's women like that that give us a bad name. If you have the
guts to stand up and ask for same pay, why shouldn't your employer
expect the same amount of work out of you? You can't have it both ways,
ladies. You can't ask for equalities but still expect special
treatment because of your gender.

My last job at the tissue bank with a fairly physically demanding one.
I had to respond to pages around the clock and get up to go to work at
all kinds of hours. And I do mean all kind of hours. The longest shift
I have clocked in was some 36 odd hours. (Yeah, it's not a job for
everyone, that's for sure. My slogan during this job? "Sleep is entirely
overrated.") With the exception of things that I can't
reach or I can't lift, I do not naturally expect my male colleagues,
who get pay as much as I do, to do more work than me. If I am tired,
I'm sure my male colleagues are just as tired as I am. Why do they
have to "go the extra mile" just because they are males?

I remember an "Ally McBeal" episode from a while back (of course it's
a while back, the show has been over for a few years now :). A woman
was suing the company (law firm?) for taking away her opportunity to
make partner because she became a mother. I believe the outcome in the
episode was that she won the law suit (to be policitcally correct?), which I don't believe it should be the case. She chose to become a mother and was no longer
able to put in 16 hours work like her male colleagues who will make
partner. That's a choice. Should a man opt to spend more time with his
family instead of spending all his waking moment at work, he too will
be disqualified to become a partner. Why should a woman, who chose to be
a mother AND to put in no more than normal hours at work, be allowed
special treatment. How is that fair to men, or women who chose not to
have kids?